BCAAs & Glutamine
Amino Acids are complex chemical compounds that are building blocks of protein and lean muscle mass. Essential amino acids (EAAs) can’t be created within your body and must be supplied via your diet. The main essential amino acids are:
Three of these (leucine, valine and isoleucine) are branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). They are vital for building muscle mass, burning fat and muscle repair. Leucine is the most beneficial out of all three of the BCAAs and research suggests that it can boost protein synthesis by activating the mTOR pathway.
BCAAs have the following benefits:
- They increase muscle growth by binding a higher number of amino acids together to form stronger muscle tissues
- They increase insulin levels which is a catalyst for protein synthesis to occur
- They blunt the levels of cortisol in the blood
- They increase human growth hormone levels which is an anabolic hormone that essential for muscle growth
- They reduce the risk of DOMS (delayed onset of muscle fatigue)
L-Glutamine is the most common amino acid found in the human body. It plays a vital role in protein metabolism, shunting nitrogen into the muscle tissue. Glutamine helps to build muscle by increasing the levels of leucine within the muscle fibres and it also decreases muscle fatigue enabling you to work longer and harder at the gym. This key amino acid boosts your immune function which enables you to recover quicker post exercise and it increase your human growth hormone levels which are essential for building muscle mass.
Click here for more information about amino acids.
Applied Nutrition – BCAA Amino-Hydrate£22.22Select options
Grenade – Defend BCAA£26.94Select options
Optimum Nutrition – Essential Amino Energy£19.22Select options
Optimum Nutrition – Pro BCAA£25.53Select options
Universal Nutrition – Atomic 7£24.02Select options
Universal Nutrition – BCAA Stack£19.35Select options
Weider – BCAA + L-Glutamine£24.66Select options
Weider – Premium BCAA Powder£24.15Select options